The most shocking shark attacks

The most shocking shark attacks

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

In 1975 he saw the shocking thriller "Jaws" to the world. The whole world, with bated breath, watched as the great white shark terrorized the resort town.

Few people know that the films are based on real events about a series of shark attacks on the beaches of New Jersey in 1916. We will tell below about the most shocking cases of a collision of a person with sharks.

Brooke Watson. There was no artist in Colonial America better known than John Singleton Copley. Usually he painted portraits, but among other paintings he was famed for the painting "Watson and the Shark". It depicts a blond boy who is in the water and calls for help. A shark swims towards him, which has already opened its mouth in anticipation of its prey. This painting was created based on a real story that happened in 1749. Brook Watson was 14 years old and a member of the crew of a merchant ship. When his ship was in Havana, the boy decided to swim in the harbor. It was there that a shark attacked him twice. The seamen of Brook's ship witnessed the terrible tragedy; they tried to pull the cabin boy out of the water as quickly as possible, saving his life. However, help came too late. During the fight with the shark, Watson lost his foot, later doctors also amputated his leg to the knee. But this did not break the spirit of the young man, he continued to lead an active life. For 9 years, Brooke sat in parliament, even managing to become vice mayor of London. Fame brought Watson the fact that his case was the first documented, when a person was able to survive a shark attack.

Barry Wilson. This case is notable for being the first recorded shark sacrifice in California history. In addition, the attack took place in front of many people. The tragedy occurred on December 7, 1952 with a 17-year-old teenager on the Pacific coast. Wilson swam with his friend 40 meters offshore. Suddenly one of the witnesses noticed how Wilson suddenly began to move abruptly and unnaturally from side to side. Suddenly Barry screamed for help. Witnesses were even able to see a shark, which almost completely lifted the young man out of the water. Barry quickly plunged underwater again and then reappeared on the surface. At the same time, he shouted, called for help and waved his arms. Among others, who rushed to help the unfortunate man, was his friend, Bruckner Brady. He, along with four other volunteers, swam to Barry. Rescuers were able to kill a person from a predator. But while they all swam to the shore, the shark pursued them. As a result, Wilson received serious wounds on his left leg, right thigh, buttocks and back. They turned out to be so deep that the young man died before the whole team reached the shore.

Robert Pamperin. Robert Pamperin gained notoriety for being completely eaten by a great white shark. The man, along with his diving colleague, Gerald Lehrer, swam off the coast of San Diego in 1959. There were 15 meters between the swimmers. Suddenly Lehrer heard Robert cry for help. When he turned around, he saw a friend in a strange upright position. Lehrer rushed to help, but Pamperin slowly sank into the water. When Gerald dived, he saw his friend in the mouth of a huge seven-meter shark. Lehrer said that Pamperin was already half swallowed, and a dangerous predator was dragging him down. Lehrer dived to the surface to get some air, and then dived again to scare the shark away. But this did not help, the diver went to the shore for the rescuers. For two hours the team was looking for at least some remains or traces of Pamperin. But all that was found at the scene of the tragedy was the diving equipment of the deceased diver.

Omar Konger. This story also happened to the diver. Omar was one of four to die from shark teeth in 1984. Konger, along with his colleague Chris Rem, swam 150 meters from the shore. There were only 5 meters between the swimmers. Then a great white shark appeared out of nowhere, grabbed Konger and dragged him away. Several seconds passed, and the predator reappeared at the surface, already with the diver in its mouth. The shark began to swim towards Rem, letting go of his partner near him. Chris was able to pull his friend ashore, but by that time he had already died, having lost a lot of blood. On the basis of numerous injuries to the arms, legs and buttocks, it was subsequently concluded that the shark was about 5 meters in length. Over the next two weeks, three more people were attacked in these places, but they all survived.

Bethany Hamilton. Bethany Hamilton, at the age of 13, became the best surfer of the same age in Hawaii, as well as in the entire United States. In 2003, the girl's name made headlines when she was attacked by a great tiger shark. On the morning of Halloween, the girl went surfing with her brother Byron, friend Alana and her father Holt. Bethany was lying on the board with her left hand in the water. Suddenly the shark attacked the girl and bit off her arm below the shoulder. Fortunately, the comrades acted rather quickly. They tied the wound with a tourniquet and pulled Bethany up the bank. There she fainted while waiting for doctors. The girl eventually lost 60% of her blood, but she managed to survive. Several operations were carried out, it was possible to avoid the ingestion of infections. A month later, the brave Bethany again found herself on the water, catching new waves. It happened on Thanksgiving Day. It will not be possible to return the previous balance, but in general the athlete quickly regained her skills, showing all the same aggressive style that she possessed. It was difficult for Bethany to adapt to the new conditions, and besides, she refused any special devices. The girl continued to compete in surfing competitions, even winning the national championship in 2005.

Randy Fry. This story dates back to 2004. Then, near the town of Westport, in the state of California, Randall Fry and Cliff Zimmerman were diving. The tragedy happened at a depth of 4.5 meters. Fry was suddenly attacked by a shark, while his friend was very close. Zimmerman turned away for just a second, and suddenly heard a whistling sound and the movement of water behind him. All that Cliff had time to see, shark fins flashed along with part of Fry's body. In just a couple of moments, the predator with its prey disappeared into the depths. The water around the frightened diver turned red ... Cliff swam quickly to his boat, since it was only 45 meters away. Rescuers were able to find Fry's body only the next day. On it were found bite marks going from one shoulder to the other. This indicated that the man had been attacked by a great white shark. She was also able to separate the head of the unfortunate man from his body.

Henry Burs. The way this man met a shark was even accidentally filmed. The tragedy happened in 1954. Henry Bourses and his two friends played with seals right in the ocean off Lady Julia Persia Island off the Australian coast. Suddenly a great white shark appeared. She swam over to Henry and quickly bit off his leg. When the comrades heard a shrill scream, they found a severed limb floating nearby. Bursa managed to be dragged into the boat, losing consciousness, he managed to report his blood type. Subsequently, the victim said that he even tried to make war with the shark, taking away his leg. Burs himself was an amateur photographer of the underwater world, and was also involved in directing. He could then use the footage of the attack on him by a white shark for the reconstruction of those events in the filmed documentary film "Cruel Shadows".

The death of Indianapolis. On June 30, 1945, the American cruiser Indianapolis was sunk during a Japanese torpedo attack. Of the 1,196 sailors who fell into the water, 900 managed to use life jackets. The next morning, this place was already swarming with sharks, smelling prey. What could the helpless crew oppose to the invasion of hungry predators? The nightmare lasted four days. Only then the rescuers on the planes were able to pull the sailors out of the water. It turned out that of the 900 crew members who fell into the water, by that time only 317 remained alive. This tragedy became the most serious naval disaster in the history of the American fleet. True, it is not known exactly how many sailors died directly due to shark attacks, and how many due to other reasons.

Matavan Creek. Shark attacks at Matavan Creek were preceded by two attacks of these predators in the ocean off the coast of Jersey on July 4, 1916. Just 6 days after these tragedies, Captain Thomas Cottrell spotted a great white shark in the shallow waters of Matavan Creek. But local residents did not attach any importance to this news, considering it just a panic in the light of recent terrible events. The first victim of a man-eating shark was twelve-year-old Lester Steewell. When he was swimming with friends, a shark attacked him from below. Local men decided to kill a predator lost in shallow water. But the shark found them first. One of the rescuers was Watson Fisher, he took the fight with the monster. The man even managed to injure the shark, but she fell behind, only tearing out part of her right leg from groin to knee. Fischer passed away several hours later, becoming the second victim in an hour. But these events did not alert local residents. Not far from the scene of the tragedy, the next day, a boy, Joseph Dunn, was bitten by a shark. The predator injured the teenager's leg, but three friends were able to repel him from the predator. Joseph was taken to hospital, where his leg was eventually saved. Only two days later, the shark could still be caught in Raritan Bay. When the cannibal's belly was opened, about 7 kilograms of human flesh and bones were found in it.

Rodney Fox. It was Rodney Fox who made history as the most famous victim of a shark attack. The reason is the extent of the damage received, as well as the fact that the person was also able to survive. The tragedy occurred on December 8, 1953, when Fox was fishing from his boat. Suddenly the ship was attacked by a great white shark, which bit the human body and tried to drag it under the water. The shark let Rodney go for a moment and lashed out over and over again. During the second attack, Fox's hand was in the mouth of the predator, but the man was able to pull it out, albeit at the cost of serious damage. The shark let go of the man again, lashing out at him a third time. Now she had already dragged Fox to the bottom of the ocean. He had almost drowned when the shark finally released him. Rescuers were shocked by the sight of the victim. On his right hand, the bones were visible along their entire length. Only here I had to put 94 stitches. Fox's lungs, stomach and chest were severely damaged. He was not even removed from his wetsuit, since only he helped to keep the insides in place. This measure, most likely, saved the life of the fisherman. Within an hour after the attack, he was taken to the hospital, while Fox was fully conscious and did not show signs of shock. It can be considered a miracle that the main arteries were intact. The operation lasted 4 hours, a total of 360 stitches were applied. Coming to his senses, Fox was able to tell his shocking story.

Watch the video: The Most Terrifying Great White Shark Encounters! Shark Week 2019. Discovery UK (July 2022).


  1. Nikonris

    In my opinion, they are wrong. Write to me in PM, discuss it.

  2. Mikajar

    Very interesting thoughts, well told, everything is just laid out on the shelves

  3. Rodes

    You can't change anything.

  4. Jarrad

    I congratulate, what words ..., the admirable thought

  5. Baigh


  6. Willifrid

    Are you serious?

Write a message